DCSIMG

Chinese lantern caused car fire

humberside fire and rescue

humberside fire and rescue

A car was badly damaged after being ignited by flames from a Chinese lantern which landed on the vehicle.

The incident was the first of 2014 dealt with by Humberside Fire and Rescue Service and involved a Toyota Yaris which had been left parked in Queensway, Scunthorpe.

It happened during the final stages of the most recent strike by Fire Brigades Union members and the incident was dealt with by a defensive crew, made up of a combination of firefighters and reservists.

They used hose reels to tackle the flames, which had started when the lantern set wiper blades and plastic trim alight, before flames spread to the engine bay.

A passer-by had seen the lantern land and upon arrival firefighters confirmed that was the cause of the fire.

The service warned of the danger from using Chinese lanterns prior to the New Year celebrations, as those launching them have no control over where the burning debris will land, creating a fire risk.

A Humberside Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “As this incident shows, Chinese lanterns can pose a real fire risk because there is no way of knowing where they will land. They could start fires which would then go undetected until serious damage had been caused, particularly in rural areas.

“They can also cause environmental damage and for those reasons we would recommend they are not used.”

Early last year a house was damaged in Brough after a Chinese lantern landed on a conservatory and burned through, into the building.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page