DCSIMG

Lighter causes fire in 
children’s bedroom

humberside fire and rescue

humberside fire and rescue

Humberside Fire and Rescue Service is reminding residents of the importance of keeping matches and lighters out of children’s reach after attending a house fire in Driffield on Saturday 18 January.

The emergency call was received at 10.28am and two engines from Driffield Fire Station arrived at the property by 10.36am.

Despite the fire having been extinguished prior to their arrival, a fire investigation officer assessed the scene and established that a lighter had been the cause of the fire in the children’s bedroom. Fire Investigation Officer Gary Chew said: “Thankfully no one was seriously injured as a result of this incident.

“Fortunately, the residents had a working smoke alarm, which alerted them to the danger, otherwise the outcome could have been a lot worse”.

Gary went on to mention another common increased risk having established the cause of the fire: “Bedrooms can often be a fire hazard as wooden furniture, beds, cushions, soft toys, games and clothes are usually in a quite confined space, which, if ignited, could spread very quickly.

“We would urge parents to be aware of this potential fire risk and certainly to keep matches and lighters well out of children’s reach”.

For more information about keeping safe from fire, visit www.humbersidefire.gov.uk

To see if you are eligible for a free Home Safety Check call Humberside Fire and Rescue Service on 0300 303 8242

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page