NHS East Riding of Yorkshire and NHS Hull Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs) have been working in partnership with local health service providers to extend local Minor Injury Unit opening hours to help ease the increased demand on A&E services this winter.
Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust is experiencing a larger than expected volume of people attending the Emergency Department at Hull Royal Infirmary. A significant number of people are arriving in the ED with relatively minor ailments and less serious injuries which could be seen and treated by more appropriate services, for example GPs, Minor Injuries Units Pharmacies in their local area.
In response to this, the MIU at Bransholme Health Centre will operate until 10 pm on weekdays and 8 pm at weekends for an interim period commencing immediately. The MIU at East Riding Community Hospital, Beverley has been open at weekends 9am to 6pm since November for people seeking treatment for minor injuries such as burns, scalds, sprains and minor ailments, and this will continue until June 2014.
Alex Seale, Director of Strategic Commissioning of East Riding of Yorkshire CCG added:
“Many people go straight to the Emergency Department when they could be treated just as professionally and usually more quickly at a Minor Injuries Unit.
“The increase in MIU opening hours will help to meet the temporary increase in demand and allow A&E staff to concentrate on people with serious, life-threatening conditions.”
Julie Mizon, Director of Commissioning and Partnership at Hull CCG said: “Extending the operating hours at Bransholme Minor Injuries Unit for an interim period is part of a collaborative system-wide approach to improving unplanned care across Hull and the East Riding of Yorkshire. All partner organisations are working together, with HEYHT as provider of acute emergency services, to ensure that we effectively manage the pressures of the winter months.”
The interim opening hours for the MIU at Bransholme Health Centre are 9am - 10pm Monday to Friday and 9am – 8pm Saturday and Sunday until the current pressures on A&E reduce significantly. (The opening times will then step down to 9am – 8pm Monday to Friday and 9am – 5pm Saturday and Sunday)
The Minor Injury Unit at East Riding Community Hospital will operate from 9am to 6pm on Saturday and Sundays until 1st June 2014.
Other Minor Injury services open across the Hull and East Riding are located at:
· Treatment Centre (within the Freedom Centre), Preston Road, Hull, HU9 3QB: Open 9am – 5pm Monday – Friday, 01482 344580
· Bransholme Medical Centre, Goodhart Road, Bransholme, Hull, HU7 4DW: Open 9am – 8pm Monday - Friday and 9am – 5pm Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays, 01482 344665
· Bridlington and District Hospital, Bessingby Road, Bridlington, YO16 4QP: Open 8am – 9pm, 7 days a week, 01262 423008
· Beverley East Riding Community Hospital, Swinemoor Lane, Beverley, HU17 9PE: Open 9am – 5pm, Monday – Friday and 9am – 6pm Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays, 01482 886600
· Driffield – Alfred Bean Hospital, Bridlington Road, Driffield, YO25 5JR: Open 9am – 6pm, 7 days a week, 01377 208733
· Goole and District Hospital, Woodland Avenue, Goole, DN14 6RX: Open 24/7, 01405 720720
· Hornsea Cottage Hospital, Eastgate, Hornsea, HU18 1LP: Open 9am – 5pm, 7 days a week, 01964 533146
· Withernsea Community Hospital, Queen Street, Withernsea, HU19 2QB: Open 9 am – 5pm Monday – Friday, 01964 614666
If you are taken ill or suffer a minor injury outside of these hours and your condition is not a life threatening (999) emergency we would always recommend that you dial 111 for NHS 111 for medical advice in the first instance. Pharmacies are also a good source of advice and may run a minor ailments scheme.