MEMBERS of the Middleton Hunt met over the weekend despite icy conditions delaying the event.
The Hunt met at Sledmere House on Saturday (February 9) but despite being due to start at 11am, the hunt was delayed for an hour due to icy conditions underfoot.
This delay, however, did not dampen spirits with riders hunting until 4.30pm and flocks of spectators enjoying the complimentary chocolate brownies and fruit cake on offer.
The Middleton Hunt dates from the year 1764 when the ‘hunt country’ which spans 40 miles across North Yorkshire was hunted by Sir Thomas Gascoigne until 1773.
In 1815 the country was given up to enable the Holderness Hunt to be established.
The 8th Lord Middleton, from 1853 until 1860 hunted the country at his own cost and in 1860 he began to accept a subscription. At a later date the country was lent to the York and Ainsty.
And when the 9th Lord Middleton retired from the Mastership at the end of the 1920-21 season, the east country began to be hunted separately; the first season, 1921-22, by one of the two Joint Masters and Colonel N. Borwick, and then, until 1927, by the other Joint Master, Lord Grimthrope.
Picture courtesy of JC. Syson.